CAPITAL INVESTMENTS | STREETS
S. 1st Street Bridge Replacement
East Theater Lane between N.E. 8th and N.E. 10th Streets.
|PROJECT ID:||ST 1.0|
- Replaces and widens the bridge across Maxwell Canal.
- Work completed when canal is not actively flowing to ease construction.
- New box culvert and foundation installed, and the foundation is widened.
- Extends sidewalk and replaces guardrails.
WHY IT’S NEEDED
The bridge deck was failing and need replacement for both public safety and to contain maintenance costs. Widening the bridge also allowed the addition of sidewalks.
* Three primary factors contributed to the cost over-runs for this project. 1) The size and type of project resulted in a low number of bids coming in higher than expected. 2) Underground utility conflicts created unanticipated challenges. 3) Extraordinary snowfall and cold temperatures in February and March 2019 caused a long delay just after work began. The final cost was $118,000 above budget.
Road closed in preparation for bridge work.
Bridge work is completed and the road is reopened.
Media: “Hermiston completes two capital improvement plan projects in 2019” Northeast Oregon Now
LAST UPDATED: 1/28/20